Thanksgiving is once again at our throats, which means the stress and antics of the holidays have started. As an adult, I have to admit I’ve grown to be not such a huge fan of the holiday season. I kind of wish we had it every other year. Didn’t we just do all this shit?
Really, once all the “Black Friday” bullshit subsides and I have a little time to think about the holidays, I guess they are OK in my book. I just wish they were a bit more relaxing.
Still, while I am not a huge fan of Thanksgiving food, even as a non-religious person I appreciate the sentiment of Thanksgiving. You don’t have to be thankful to “someone upstairs.” It’s just a time to be aware of the good things.
So here it is — my list of people, phenomena, and ephemera to be thankful for…
- I am thankful there is something rather than nothing.
- I am thankful that an asteroid hasn’t destroyed civilization (yet).
- I am thankful for skateboarding.
- I am thankful for Aikido.
- I am thankful for my lovely and intelligent wife, who makes life worth living and lights every day.
- I am thankful for my family.
- I am thankful for my friends.
- I am thankful for my job, which allows me to make a modest living while helping others.
- I am thankful for my health, and the health of my family and friends. It can’t last, but is good while it is there.
- I am thankful especially for my nieces and nephews, who are the stars in my sky.
- I am thankful for the internet.
- I am thankful for my education and relative intelligence, and thus far my adaptability.
- I am thankful for smart people, but even more, for good people.
- I am thankful for the Strong and Weak nuclear forces, Gravity, and the Electro-magnetic force, and their strengths relative to each other. Wouldn’t be here without them.
- I am thankful for the phenomenon of consciousness, even if it is an illusion of some kind.
- I am thankful for our cats.
- I am thankful for creativity, without which life would indeed be a bore.
- I am thankful for literacy.
- I am thankful for funny people.
- I am thankful to have a President who gives a damn.
- I am thankful for peaceful transitions of power.
- I am thankful that humans can experience pleasure.
- I am thankful for the Law of Identity. A → A