When times are shit, it is important to take stock of what isn’t shit.
Besides the pandemic, we are facing some serious issues, but in some respects were are lucky. We have the resources we need to face these challenges.
So, here are a few things I appreciate this year.
- I am thankful for my wife. I can’t express this sufficiently.
- As always, I am thankful there is something rather than nothing.
- I am thankful for all the friends who have reached out to us. I love y’all.
- I am thankful I had parents who were kind and gave me a secure home in which I was loved and not judged.
- I appreciate my extended family and my in-law family. I don’t agree with a lot of ’em on a lot of things, but they are all good people who would give a stranger the shirt of their back if needed. I love every one of them, and I’m lucky to have them.
- I appreciate skateboarding. The skateboard is what I always return to in order to calm my mind and express myself.
- I am thankful for Aikido and my fellow aikidokas, though I’ve not been able to practice in 8 months. Looking forward to a return to the dojo when it is possible. I’m thankful for my sensei, who has helped me develop the awareness to know when I’m losing myself and how to get my mind right again.
- I am grateful to have made it to age 56. Not everyone does.
- I am grateful for my gaming group, old friends I’ve known since we were young kids. There’s a comfort and familiarity with them that only comes from common history and background. All top notch dudes.
- I am thankful for our cats.
- I am thankful for my profession and my colleagues, whose support has been critical. I can’t believe I was lucky enough to land where I did.